9 koolhydraat feitjes die moet weten als wielerfanaat!
Carbohydrates are extremely important for endurance athletes. During the Tour de France, the riders of pasta, rice, energy bars and gels, all full of carbohydrates. Therefore, here is everything you need to know about carbohydrates during exercise!
1. Your body uses two types of fuel during exercise: carbohydrates (in the form of glucose) and fats. Glucose is the 'fast fuel' because it can be converted into energy faster than fat can.
2. The more intensive the effort, the more important the carbohydrates! During intensive efforts, you need a lot of energy quickly, and that is why your body mainly opts for glucose (as fast energy).
3. You only have a limited supply of carbohydrates in your body, enough for only 45-90 minutes or moderate to intensive exercise.
4. Carbohydrate stocks = hunger hops. This is why it is important to get enough carbohydrates during long journeys. Think of a banana, or more sport-specific food such as isotonic sports drinks, energy bars, or a gel.
5. How much? That depends on the duration of your ride. With short trips you do not need extra carbohydrates, the supplies in your body are sufficient. If you do not like some carbohydrates (30g / hour), and if you want to take in at least some carbohydrates (30g / hour), and if the duration of exercise increases more than 2.5 hours.
6. Your body can only absorb 60g or glucose per hour. If you take more, this is not absorbed and it accumulates in the gut (with most likely 'Tom Dumoulin scenes' as a result).
7. The maximum carbohydrate intake can be increased (up to ~ 90g / hour) by adding another type of carbohydrate, which is absorbed in your intestines in a different way.
8. Scientific research has shown that glucose (or maltodextrin, which consists of a chain of glucose particles) + fructosein a ratio of 2: 1 is one of the best combinations. The energy bars and gels or Vifit Sports contain this combination of maltodextrin + fructose.
9. Finally: nice to know that the energy products or Vifit Sports have been developed in cooperation with Team LottoNL-Jumbo. Prof. dr. like Dylan Groenewegen, Primoz Roglic and Robert Gesink use these products during their hunt for internship wins in the Tour de France!